SEO stands for “Search Engine Optimization” It’s the practice of increasing both the quality and quantity of website traffic, as well as exposure to your brand, through non-paid (also known as “organic”) search engine results. SEO refers to the improvement of unpaid results and excludes direct traffic/visitors and the purchase of paid ads placement.
Search Engine Basics
- Search engines are answer machines. They scour billions of pieces of content and evaluate thousands of factors to determine which content is most likely to answer your query.
- Search engines do all of this by discovering and cataloging all available content on the Internet (web pages, PDFs, images, videos, etc.) via a process known as “crawling and indexing,” and then ordering it by how well it matches the query in a process we refer to as “ranking.” We’ll cover crawling, indexing, and ranking
- All major search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo have primary search results, where web pages and other content such as videos or local listings are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users. Payment isn’t involved, as it is with paid search ads.
HOW SEARCH ENGINES WORK:
Search engines have three primary functions:
Scour the Internet for content, looking over the code/content for each URL they find.
Store and organize the content found during the crawling process. Once a page is in the index, it’s in the running to be displayed as a result to relevant queries.
Provide the pieces of content that will best answer a searcher’s query, which means that results are ordered by most relevant to least relevant.
4. Boost your visibility among engine results
If your page answers a specific need, it is optimized for this need and that its potential search volume is sufficient (data collected with Keyword Planner ), your visibility will be ensured. But never forget this rule: optimizing a page is not a definitive action . Keep in mind that your competitors also work continuously to improve their positioning!
5. Generate qualified traffic
If your page meets the expectations of your customers, there is a good chance that they stay longer on your site, visit more pages and benefit from your products / services. Some will go even further by recommending your content.
6. Improve your conversion rate
An SEO strategy also includes thinking about the conversion scheme of your pages. An optimized page is a page whose actions to perform are easily identifiable and affording. Many optimizations can indeed be made on your calls to action .
7. Increase your ROI and your turnover
A site that converts is a site that generates revenue. The more optimized your pages are, the better they will be and the better your return on investment will be.
What is search engine crawling?
- Crawling is the discovery process in which search engines send out a team of robots (known as crawlers or spiders) to find new and updated content. Content can vary — it could be a webpage, an image, a video, a PDF, etc. — but regardless of the format, content is discovered by links.
- Googlebot starts out by fetching a few web pages and then follows the links on those webpages to find new URLs. By hopping along this path of links, the crawler is able to find new content and add it to their index called Caffeine — a massive database of discovered URLs — to later be retrieved when a searcher is seeking information that the content on that URL is a good match for.
Search engine ranking
- When someone performs a search, search engines scour their index for highly relevant content and then orders that content in the hopes of solving the searcher’s query. This ordering of search results by relevance is known as ranking. In general, you can assume that the higher a website is ranked, the more relevant the search engine believes that the site is to the query.
- It’s possible to block search engine crawlers from part or all of your site or instruct search engines to avoid storing certain pages in their index. While there can be reasons for doing this, if you want your content found by searchers, you have to first make sure it’s accessible to crawlers and is indexable. Otherwise, it’s as good as invisible.
Different Types of SEO:
1. ON-PAGE SEO — Here is a An advanced guide to on-page search engine optimization for ecommerce”
2. OFF-PAGE SEO —- Here is a book that found very helpful to learn more about Off-Page Search Engine Optimization
On-page SEO is the practice of optimizing individual web pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. On-page refers to both the content and HTML source code of a page that can be optimized,For those new to on-page SEO, we highly recommend reading our On-Page Ranking Factors. On-page SEO has changed over the years, so it’s important to keep up with the latest practices.
Factors in On-Page SEO:
• Page Title
• Meta Description
• Meta Tag
• URL Structure
• Body Tags (H1,H2,H3 etc)
• Keyword Density
• Internal Linking
“Off-page SEO” (also called “off-site SEO”) refers to actions taken outside of your own website to impact your rankings within search engine results pages (SERPs).
Optimizing for off-site ranking factors involves improving search engine and user perception of a site’s popularity, relevance, trustworthiness, and authority. This is accomplished by other reputable places on the Internet (pages, sites, people, etc.) linking to or promoting your website, and effectively “vouching” for the quality of your content.
Factors in Off-Page SEO:
• Guest Blog Posting
• PDF Submission
• Article Submission
• Social Media Profiles
• Web 2.0 Sites
• Directory Submission
• Business Listing
• Social Bookmarking
• Profile Creation
• Forum Posting
• Blog Commenting
Importance of SEO
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is an important tool for every website to get more traffic and visitors. The main purpose of the search engine optimization is to get more traffic from various sources and to get repetitive visitors. It defines the methods used to increase your website ranking in search engine result pages.
Every business needs to invest in search engine optimization. Search engine optimization is the process of optimizing your website to maximize organic traffic from search engines. The leading search engines are Google,
YouTube, Bing, and Yahoo.
This blog is a warning to everyone that does not have an effective SEO strategy. You are making a huge mistake by not leveraging all of the below SEO benefits.
You are losing money every day your website is not optimized in the search engines.
1. There are people searching for your products or services on search engines
There are over 2 billion people online. 93% of online activities start on a search engine. There are 40,000 searches every second, and 3.5 billion searches per day. There are millions of opportunities for your business to become found on search engines. One of the most important benefits of SEO is that your customers are using search engines daily.
2. SEO pulls-in quality traffic
Traffic on search engines is the best traffic. Why? Because people are actually searching for the problem you solve. You can “pull” traffic to your business. You do not have to “push” out advertisements to persuade people to buy. Search traffic is already interested in your products and services. This is why the SEO industry is worth $65 billion.
3. Traffic is more likely to convert
SEO traffic is more likely to convert than other sources of traffic. In fact, search traffic has the best conversion rates for most websites. By positioning yourself on search engines, you are positioning your business to win more conversions.
4. Increase in sales and leads
SEO is not a myth. You will increase your leads and sales if you offer a viable product or service. One small business generated over $103,510.98 worth of SEO results in just 5 months.
However, you must invest in the best SEO strategy. With a winning SEO campaign, your business will be on it’s way to higher conversions.
5. Decrease your cost per acquisition
Another benefit of SEO is that it is “free”. It is far less expensive than advertising to acquire customers. The only costs in SEO are the costs to hire the best SEO company. Unless you have experience in website coding and Google algorithms, you will need an SEO firm or agency to grow your rankings.
6. Does not involve any paid advertising
You do not have to advertise if you have strong SEO standings. You can increase your website traffic without having to pay per click. An effective SEO strategy can help you scale back your advertising dollars, and invest it in more efficient areas.
7. Top SEO rankings provides 24/7 promotion
SEO is 24/7. It does not sleep. Your rankings do not disappear overnight. You can increase your website traffic all day, every day. Once you rank high in search engines, they will promote your business while you are sleeping.
8. SEO builds trust and credibility
People trust Google. They use it every day to find what they are looking for. By ranking high on search engines, your business will build trust and credibility with your audience. In fact, 37% of search engine clicks are on the first organic listing.
9. A long-term strategy
SEO is a long-term strategy. It can take 6-12 months to see optimal rankings. However, just as it takes time to move up the rankings, it takes time to move down the rankings. Once you are placed in top positions, you rarely move down. The only reason this would change is due to rising SEO competition or changes in Google algorithm.
10. SEO makes your customers more informed
Your customers are using search engines to research. They use their findings to help them make informed decisions on available options. High SEO rankings allows you to educate potential customers. This indirectly builds trust, but most importantly helps them make an informed decision.
11. Influences purchasing decisions
SEO significantly influences purchasing decisions. This is because of the developed trust and credibility mentioned in our prior points. Use SEO to improve your conversions by significantly influencing the purchasing decisions of those on the web.
12. Increases your brand awareness and equity
Conversions aside, SEO will also build your brand equity. In other words, SEO will help people become aware of your brand. Awareness is important because your website visitors may not always be ready to purchase. However, by being aware of your offerings, they may purchase in the near future.
13. Increase the number of customer attribution or “touches”
While your awareness is increasing, SEO will simultaneously increase your customer attribution points. Attribution is the amount of times your audience sees your brand. The more times they see your business, the more likely they are to purchase from your business. Strong SEO rankings will help you dramatically increase your touch points with potential buyers.
14. SEO receives 90% more clicks than PPC
SEO trumps paid advertising. This is because organic SEO listings receive 90% of clicks. Many users of search engines tend to skip paid advertisements. This is most likely due to their trust in Google’s algorithm. By investing in SEO, you will likely gain more traffic than the advertisers on the same keywords.
15. SEO can increase your website referrals
SEO will increase your website referrals. You will gain more website referrals from search engines. In addition, your website visitors are likely to refer your website to their friends. A strong SEO presence will you grow referrals, literally and figuratively!
16. SEO is measurable
SEO is measurable. You can measure your conversions and the source of conversions. You can also measure the progression of your website rankings and organic traffic. With the right tools (or SEO company), you will be able to measure which search keywords are the most valuable to your business.
17. Drives offline sales
Do your customers do research online before visiting your store? Of course they do! Because most people do their research online, SEO also drives offline sales. This is because they are using search engines to do their research, but may visit your store or make a phone call to actually buy your products. Therefore, SEO is a major contributor to driving offline sales.
18. More cost-effective than paid advertising
This is a no-brainer. SEO is more cost-effective than paid advertising. Once you rank high on search engines, you do not have to pay for clicks from search engines. Pause your PPC advertising campaigns and let #1 SEO rankings drive more results.
19.Your competitors are using SEO to grow
Kill or be killed. Your customers start their internet journey with a search. Your competitors are using search to grow their business. Sooner or later, if you are not using search to grow your business, you will not have a business!
20. SEO can give smaller businesses an edge on larger companies
If you operate a small business, you may find that it is tough to outspend larger competitors in AdWords. However, an effective SEO strategy may be your way to gain higher rankings. While larger companies rely on advertising, you can rely on a savvy SEO strategy to go in the back door to acquire customers.
21. Help you gain market share
Gain market share by being first. If you are the first option, your customers will never know about the hundreds of alternatives. Unless, they scroll to page 10 of Google. However, we know that will not happen. Why? Because 75% of users never scroll past the first page of search results.
I hope this information was helpful. To know more about SEO, here are some links to help;